FOCUS: Encaustic Monotype Drawing & Mark-Making – OPEN FOR REGISTRATION
March 9, 16, 23, and 30, 2022
Announcing the first in a series of nested FOCUS Monotype courses, “FOCUS: Encaustic Monotype Drawing & Mark-Making”
Instead of teaching a little of everything about encaustic printing, in the FOCUS classes Paula will deconstruct topics, in this case Drawing and its role in printing with wax, and share what she knows in depth. With these courses you will see your work soar!
Here is just a tase of what’s included. Participants will:
Draw by applying encaustic to the hot palette’s plate; shape and remove lines and marks with tools in many ways
- create abstract or representational works with incredible texture
- Explore the work of artists who have developed their own voice with encaustic printmaking and successfully incorporated it into their art practice
- Create numerous pieces with this spontaneous and freeing process
- Identify the interplay between the variables that influence outcomes, such as pigment types, wax concentrations, and heat
- Discover how to make colors relate on the plate and how to modify commercially made paint colors
- Learn Paula’s favorite papers and all about paper fiber, finish, weight, absorbency, and how these determine the print outcome
- Learn to “build” successful prints, and get new tips and tricks to unify compositions
- Explore unique tools, including the Roland HOTbox, and what marks and lines are possible with a variety of hand tools
- Layer texture and color to add ground, shapes, and enhance composition
- Learn to mount your works with wax or acrylic gel and make a “floating” panel—it’s easy with only a few tools needed
And much, much more to help you achieve your goals!
The course meets for five two-hour live zoom sessions on Wednesday, March 9, 16, 23, 30, and April 6, from 2:00-4:00 PM (CST), and is appropriate for all art levels (including adventurous beginners!). Those with monotype experience will be challenged with new options and valuable insight!
All classes are recorded so you may review later or make-up a class if missed.
Remember, if you are a Catalyst Art Lab member, you get 10% off the course fee. Both member and non-member registration are now open for FOCUS!